I made a something new!
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cups!!
I had a little soiree and needed a recipe for a finger dessert. These babies jumped out of the cookbook yelling “PICK ME, PICK ME!”
They looked elegant and grown-up …..which you have to understand is always a nice change for me. Having 6 children, (ages 3, 9, 12, 14, 15, and 17) I tend to make things super kid-friendly and B.I.G , but these were little and dainty and just so girly!
The taste isn’t small….they are full of flavor!
The kids reaction was the same though! They stood next to the table and were all…”NowMom? Theylooksogood,Mom!Canwehaveonenow,Mom?Mom,yourguestssaiditwasok….doyoumind?Mom,Mom…..Mom?” I should have known they would be all over them, despite the fact they were LITTLE, and pink (5 boys!)!!
Needless to say, they were gone in 2.5 seconds flat. Mental note….next time arrange a night out for said little vacuums! These were for the grown-ups!! (insert foot stomp!)
On the other hand, kids tested…..kid approved!
You should plan tea party RIGHT NOW, so you can make these and impress all of your friends. Or just make them, hide them in the back of the fridge, and when you need a break from fruit snacks and Goldfish pop one of them in your mouth. GOOOOOODstuff!
There are a few steps, but the recipe flowed nicely.
Take care of the cherries first. Rinse them and set them aside to dry…or pat them dry. I love the color of maraschino cherries!
When they are dry, dip them in chocolate. You can stop here if you want! 🙂 YUM!
The phyllo shells get an inside coating of chocolate, and then chocolate cherry filling. (which is pie worthy! Stay tuned!)
Then top with a chocolate cherry and Wa-lahhhh!
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cups
- 2 packages frozen mini phyllo shells (15 each)
- 1 and 1/2 cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (set 3 Tbsp. aside)
- 2 tsp. oil (vegetable or canola)
- 2 (10 oz.) jars maraschino cherries with stems, rinsed drained and patted dry. (set 30 of the prettiest aside for dipping-keep stems on, finely chop the remaining cherries and pat dry)
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup whipped topping
– Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
– Bake Phyllo shells about 3 minutes….until crisp and warm. Set aside to cool.
– Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
– Microwave the chocolate (1 and 1/2 cups) and the oil in a microwave safe bowl for 30 second intervals, stirring between each; until chocolate is smooth and melted.
– Dip the 30 cherries (with stems) into the chocolate almost to the stem. Place on wax paper and refrigerate until chocolate is set.
– Pour the rest of the melted chocolate into a resealable plastic bag, cut the end off and drizzle evenly into the shells. (I squeezed the chocolate around the edges and worked my way in.) Do this for all 30 shells. Refrigerate until chocolate has hardened.
– In a small bowl, mix the softened cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
– Stir in whipped topping and chopped cherries until completely incorporated.
– Fold in remaining 3 tbsp. mini chocolate chips.
– Scrape filling into a resealable bag, cut off a small corner (large enough for the cherries and chocolate chips to fit through smoothly). Squeeze into chocolate filled phyllo shells.
– Press one chocolate covered cherry into each cup.
*recipe adapted from Season’s best recipe collection by The Pampered Chef
These would be awesome near Christmas time! They look pretty festive.
You should definitely try them! You won’t be sorry….honest!