I made cookies!
Oatmeal Cowboy Cookies!!
These are the cookies that I get asked to make the most.
It is also the cookie that changed my mind about butterscotch. I have never liked butterscotch, and tended to avoid it in recipes. For some reason, the very first time I made these cookies I followed the recipe exactly….which I very rarely do. I almost always put my own spin on the things I bake, but I’m so glad I didn’t this time! Needless to say…I LOVE them!!
I’m not sure exactly why they are called Cowboy Cookies, but I’ve also heard them called kitchen sink cookies. I guess that means you can throw anything into them.
I’ve come across several recipes for them and they all seem to have oatmeal.
It varies from there…..nuts, coconut, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, raisins and pretzel pieces are some of the things I’ve seen in Cowboy Cookie recipes.
I love open-ended recipes…..it keeps things interesting!
These are crisp on the outside and chewy and delicious in the middle.
Oatmeal Cowboy Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
– Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
– Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
– In a medium bowl, cream margarine, oil and both sugars until smooth.
– Beat in eggs.
– Slowly stir in sifted ingredients until well blended. Fold in oats and butterscotch chips.
– Drop onto cookie sheet and bake 14 to 16 minutes. ( I use a 2 tbsp. scoop so my cookies are larger, if you use a smaller scoop decrease baking time.) Cookies should be set in the middle and golden on the edges.
– Cool for a few minutes, until they lift easily off the cookie sheet.
– Recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies.
*Recipe from Allrecipes.com
You can also refrigerate the dough for an hour or so. I think it makes a fluffier/puffier cookie.
With Christmas right around the corner, it’s always good to have a few really good cookie recipes to share. I think you will really like these! And the person you make them for will think you are pure fabulousness for passing them on! 🙂