I made cookies!
Actually, I made cookie bars…..Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars!!
I thought I needed to balance out my children’s sweet intake with a hearty and healthier snack (I can’t imagine why!! I’m sure it has nothing to do with the fact that all of the fudge I made yesterday is gone!)……and oatmeal is hearty and healthy right? 🙂 Brilliant, I know! AND, if you take “cookie” out of their name they are even healthier! Work with me here, ok?
I used ingredients that are pretty standard in a pantry, so you should be able to make these in a snap.
Cake mix, quick oats, brown sugar, butter, chocolate chips and caramel sauce (which is totally optional).
It’s a one bowl recipe, which any dishwashing mama knows is awesome! And if your kids are the dishwashers, they will think you are pretty fabulous for thinking of them when you made these….definetly can’t be accused of breaking child labor laws for this one!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 and 1/2 cups quick-oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chocolate chips, divided (I used semi-sweet mini chips)
- Caramel ice cream topping (optional)
– Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 10 x 10 or 9 x 13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
– Mix cake mix, oats and brown sugar in a mixing bowl.
– With a large spatula stir in melted butter and eggs until completely combined. (Dough will be thick)
– Fold in half of the chocolate chips.
– Press into prepared pan.
– Bake 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown. (or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean)
– Sprinkle additional chocolate chips over the top and drizzle with caramel. Cool and cut into bars.
Easy right? This one bowl thing is pretty fabulous, huh?
And the best part…..your kids will love them. Even if they are healthy 🙂 Maybe they will even eat 2 servings of veggies at dinner! (those really are healthy, but just not as tasty!)