I made Peanut Butter Bars today!
Not just any peanut butter bars…..Triple Layer Chocolate Peanut Butter Crispy Treat Bars!! (Whew, that’s a mouthful!)
Yep….you read correctly…..THREE layers!!
I made the first layer with Cocoa Krispies Cereal…..
Next, I spread on a Reeses-like peanut butter layer…….
And for the 3rd layer……Chocolate!
I know…..I’m kinda genius!! Aren’t you glad we are friends??
They are a mix of traditional crispy cereal treats and peanut butter bars….both stand well on their own, but together…..W O W!!
Triple Layer Chocolate Peanut Butter Crispy Treat Bars
For the Crispy Treat Layer ( adapted from The Original Kellogg’s Rice Krispy Treat Recipe)
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 4 cups Mini-marshmallows
- 6 cups Cocoa Krispies Cereal
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add marshmallows until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in cereal. Mix until all of the cereal is coated with marshmallow mixture.
- Press into a sprayed 13 x 9 inch pan. (I used wax paper to flatten. Just tear of a sheet that fits inside of your pan and press evenly….I used the back of a spatula.) Set aside.
For the Peanut Butter Layer
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 cups finely chopped graham cracker crumbs (I used a food processor, try a blender if you don’t have one)
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter.
- Mix peanut butter into the melted butter, stir until totally incorporated.
- Pour peanut butter mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread onto the Crispy Treat Layer. (I dumped the entire bowl on, and spread as best as I could with a spoon. Then, I pressed evenly with wax paper until it was smooth.)
For the Chocolate Layer
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- sprinkles, optional
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chips and oil for 30 second intervals. Stir between each until completely melted.
- Pour over peanut butter layer. Set aside until chocolate hardens. (You can chill to speed up the process.)
- Top with your favorite sprinkles.
- Cut and serve.
These are the bars I had planned on making for you on Tuesday, but after I had my action-packed adventure in the Wal-mart parking lot; I decided I needed something a little more simple that day.
I hope you can forgive me for holding out on you for two days!
But honestly….. had I made them that day, I probably would have turned into an emotional eater and downed the entire pan before my children got home. When they asked me where their snack was….I would’ve had to tell them I ate it all and they would have to eat an apple or something. And well……that would seem greedy and not very motherly….i’d probably feel super bad and start to cry.
So I waited….for my children’s benefit…..you understand!
Now that you have them….I hope you enjoy!